As parents we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about how the toys we buy our children toys that can inspire their imaginations. If you take a closer look at what they do at playtime we would see just how the toys stimulate their imagination and help them to develop. Play time isn’t just fun and games, it allows them to experiment with what they know about the real world.
Play time allows them to develop social skills, improve their language skills, inspires creativity and self-discipline. As parents we mainly concern ourselves with whether or not our children are having fun and actually playing with the toys we get them. If we want to stimulate their imaginations and encourage development here are some toys that we should consider.
- Dolls and dollhouses. The dollhouses on the market today are incredibly realistic and children can imitate real life using the dolls and the dollhouse. This type of play can be incredibly realistic and your children can become very attached to their dolls. It teaches them caring and empathy.
- Puppets and puppet shows. Puppets have been used since the dawn of time for acting and role playing. Psychologists use them for kids to explain trauma in a safe environment. Try and get puppets that aren’t based on characters your children already know, it gives them a blank slate and they can use their imagination to create characters.
- Play kitchens. This gives your child the chance to learn about the jobs and things that mom and dad do around the house. They can pretend to cook, vacuum or fix things with play tool sets.
- Planes, trains and automobiles. These allow kids to use their imaginations to travel and see the world. If they want to go to grandma’s house they can hop in the car or on the plane. They can pretend to be pilots or astronauts and have some adventure filled trips.
- Costumes. Costumes are among some of the best toys ever to encourage role playing. Not only that they are cheap and easy to make and that is another way you can help kids use their imaginations. With a costume they can become absolutely anything, cowboys, princesses, or their favorite character from a book they love.
Another way to spark your child’s imagination is through books. Books take you on a journey to different places and lets you interact into different worlds. Reading with your child is one of the best things you can do for their development.